Friday, September 25, 2009

School is in session

The kids have been in school for about a month now. Brian has adjusted very well to Kindergarten. I had gone in prior to school starting for an informational meeting with his class teacher. That was the hardest thing for me to sit through. All the parents met in the cafeteria and the principal introduced herself and went over the activities for the evening. We then walked to our child's classroom and sat in those tiny chairs. Brian's teacher had quite a bit of information to share and I was very concerned about Brian's meals. How was he to eat lunch because he is on a GFCF diet. Everything we make comes from the freezer because it has no preservatives and it needs to be heated or it needs to be kept refridgerated. I asked about access to microwaves and got a huge NO response from the teacher. I was a bit offended the way she answered me but then, I know she had a lot to get through. Then she gets to dismissal and car riders. Brian will be riding the bus so the car rider line didn't concern me but I was shocked to hear how dismissal happens. The kids are released on their own. When they go out the door, who knows who is taking them. I let my concern be heard and the teacher's response was, well, we've never had a problem with it, it's worked out well so far. I was in shock. I again questioned her and asked what would happen if a step mother or a parent who was not supposed to have contact with the child shows up before the parent could. The child recognizes the parent and goes with them and next thing you know, the kid's parent is at the school wondering where her child is. Again, I got the same response. I just shook my head and started to get bad vibes about this class. She then proceeds on and lets us know that she is the only adult with 17 kids. I was shocked. Brian's IEP states that there will be an aide in the classroom for him so to hear that she will be alone did not sit easy with me. By the end of the meeting I was a bit shaken. I waited my turn after a few parents had stayed after to talk about my concerns with the teacher. Especially surprise birthday parties. I wanted to make sure there was some way to bring cupcakes in for Brian to eat that are GFCF if his classmates were celebrating. I didn't want him to feel left out. It was so late the principal finally made her way to the classroom with Brian. I spoke with the principal and she was much more understanding of my concerns and we were able to come up with a plan for Brian's lunches. The school will provide a GFCF lunch for him as soon as I brought in a doctor's note. The next week I had the note and Brian was set. We do still pack his lunch but I am thrilled that the option is available to him to eat a school lunch. Katheryn is enjoying her 5th grade year. This is her last year at the elementary school. She is so thrilled to be able to have a locker. I told her they were training her up for Middle School. She and Brian walk together to and from the bus stop everyday. It's so nice having them walk together. Next year Brian will be without Katheryn but at least I can enjoy watching them leave in the morning together. I as well have started back to school. I am taking 3 classes this semester with the intention of graduating with an associates after this semester. Ethan goes to the YMCA while I am in class. The first day he loved it but now it is difficult getting him to uncling from me when I drop him off. It's a great place and he tells me all about how they played outside and the friends he has made. I think it's just a little bit of seperation anxiety in the morning and then he's okay.

No comments: