Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A busy end of summer

Whoo-hoo! School has started for Katheryn and Brian...hip hip hooray! And with the start of the school year, things tend to get booked and overwhelming. Gone are the lazy days of summer...not that we really had any lazy days with our move.
Matt took some leave last week and this week so we have been able to walk the kids to the bus stop together and pick them up. It's really rather funny that riding the bus is even an option. From our front porch, we can see the school and about the time it takes us to walk to the bus stop, Katheryn could be at the school.
Katheryn started school last Wednesday and Brian on Friday. Katheryn has made some friends and is getting quite involved and picking up some activities. She will be taking three dance classes...hip hop, jazz and ballet...along with instructional gymnastics. She is really excited about it. She is also going to try her hand at band. The school is introducing instruments to the 4th and 5th graders and Katheryn is interested in the trumpet, flute and violin. We'll see which one she decides on closer to the end of the year I'm sure.

Matt and Katheryn (1st day of school)

Brian has been doing well and is really enjoying school. This is the first year where I do not have to take him or pick him up. He going to a school adjacent to the local college here. I thought he would have problems riding the bus but I was wrong. We bought him a backpack and since we did, he has been attached to it ready for school. The first day of school, he had his back pack on hours before we needed to leave telling me that we needed to go or else we would be late. This was every ten minutes or so. Finally, it was time and we walked him to the bus stop. With his head held high and a huge smile on his face and without hesitation, he stepped up onto the bus. He got to his seat, looked out the window at us smiling and very happily waved goodbye to Matt and I. My heart melted. My little man was becoming independent of me and didn't need me to hold his hand anymore. And then today, he told me he was too busy to go to school. :)
Brian's first day of pre-k
Since Matt has been on leave, I've been taking advantage of it. Last Friday we went to the Regimental Ball in Crystal City and had a wonderful time. It was a much needed break for me away from the kids to spend time with Matt. With his hours, every minute we get together is nice. It was so much fun to dress up and be adults. The hotel was filled with beautiful people. We were tickled to be stopped and adored by the Marines of the Chosin Few who were having their own convention. We found it ironic that they would be thanking Matt for his service in the military after all that they have been through. We respectfully thanked them for their service in return. The war that they faced and the sacrifices they had to make are pretty miniscule compared to what we go through today and I realized that I need to remember that when Matt is deployed. Hopefully though, it will not be any time soon.
Matt and Teresa at the Ball
Matt cutting a rug
Today we decided to start putting in a patio. Who knew it would be sooo much work. We rented a tiller and Matt started to sledge hammer away the 2' x 4' slab from the back door. It's taken half the day just to get that out and it's still not completely out! Poor Matt's back is so red from the sun. While he was sledging away, I started up the tiller and went at it. I tilled up about a 12' x 10' area for a garden. The ground is really tough so I haven't made much progress at all. I've managed to rip up the grass and get a blister on my thumb. My thumb is okay so it's all good. I can't wait to have the backyard semi-finished.
Oh! I forgot to mention the biggest news of Matt's leave...well, two things actually. One being that Matt was selected for Major below the zone which is wonderful news....and Ethan finally had his cast removed. I've included some pics. He was really upset about the cast coming off...he didn't want it off. Anyways, enjoy the pics.

Ethan not so sure about the saw

Here we go

Off it comes

I want it back on!

No comments: