Sunday, December 28, 2008

It's Christmas! Santa was here!

After staying up til 2:30am, sleeping in sounded like a great idea but I knew that the kids would be awake before us filled with excitement wondering what Santa brought them. About 6am I heard some movement. Matt was about to wake up and I told him to just lay in bed and wait. We waited about 10 seconds before we hear this screaming from our middle son Brian and then we heard the train toot and run on it's tracks followed by more screaming.
Brian was so excited he ran throughout the house screaming, "Santa is here! Santa is here!! Santa came!!" He ran into our bedroom and tried flipping on our lights and with so much excitement he came to our bed and told us we needed to get up because Santa had come. He then ran to Katheryn's bedroom to tell her and I believe Ethan was awake by now. Brian ran back downstairs to play with his train some more and when Matt and I hadn't come down the stairs yet, he was back in our room telling us to get downstairs. That I think was the best Christmas gift he could have given us. His sheer excitement just tickled us. It was just funny! Ethan on the other hand didn't seemed too thrilled.
Ethan enjoying the train track
Matt and I finally came down the stairs and asked Brian if that was all Santa had brought him. He seemed to think so. Then we told him there was one more gift in the play area. He and Ethan immediately went down to the basement and to their amusement was the train table Matt and I worked on for hours the night before. It was wonderful to see them both playing. It's large enough that they can each play on a side and stay out of each other's way.

Brian and Ethan playing with their new train table

We eventually got to unwrapping gifts. My dad came by to enjoy the excitement of the kids. I tried to have the kids open gifts one at a time but when you have three kids and they know that they have presents under the tree, the paper started to fly! Ethan was opening presents whether or not they were for him. The kids were so excited. Brian was thrilled to have received "The Polar Express" train set to go with his train table. He loves the movie and the train set came with a bell just like in the movie. Brian came to me shaking it very excitedly near his ear and kept saying "I believe, I believe!"

Brian opening his train gift from Aunt Monica and Uncle George

A few days before I told Matt that I had better not receive any workout equipment from him or else he would be in the dog house. He joked and said he had better go back to Dick's Sporting Goods then to make a return. So here we are Christmas morning and I start to unwrap his gifts. The first gift was a jumprope and some workout DVD to go with it. Hmmm. I gave him a look. Then he tells me to open the second gift. I do so reluctantly and inside are "perfect push-up" things. Great. I look at him again. By this point he's laughing. Then he hands me the third gift which is pretty weighted and from the way it's wrapped I could tell that it's a medicine ball. I refused to open it and I told him it was going back...all of it was going back to the store. He laughs again and we open the ball up. Matt then proceeds to pull the ball out of the box so that we can't take it back to the store. He plays with the push-up things too. I told him he went shopping for himself and he tells me that he went shopping for both of us. Hmmm. Then he hands me one last box and says that it's clothes for the gym. This gift I wouldn't mind since I do need some new things for the gym. I begin to open it and to my surprise it's a Kate Spade handbag. I don't know how much I had hinted that I would like a Kate Spade bag. :) My only complaint about the bag was that the handles were a little short. Since I knew what Matt was getting me for Christmas, sort of, I had rebuttled and couldn't resist picking up a bottle of Dog House chardonay to give to him. It was quite funny. We went back to the outlets a few days later and I exchanged the bag for one that was a little more sleek. I LOVE it!! Matt is so funny and wonderful. I'm really blessed to have such a wonderful man in my life.

Dinner was at my mom's. We got there about 2:30pm and were seated at her dining room table. She had made so much. Turkey, ham, mac-n-cheese, collards, green bean casserole, dressing, carrots, corn, potatoes (3 kinds), biscuits and cranberry sauce. I'm sure I'm missing something. For dessert, I had made pumpkin pies and also one that Brian could eat. My mom had made a chocolate peanut butter cake and banana pudding. She brought the desserts out and sat the cake in front of Ethan. He thought it was for him so he decided to take a few bites. (he had a little egging on though.) After cleaning up, we went through the unwrapping of presents again. The kids had paper everywhere. It was so much fun. The boys got a hotwheels race track which they immediately set up and started to play with.

Christmas dinner

My mom and dad

Jenn and Freddie (my brother and his girlfriend)

Ethan digging in to cake!

We left my parent's around 6:30pm, just in time to make it to the theatre to see "Marley &Me." It was a really sweet heart touching story about the love a dog can bring to a family no matter how unruly. Kind of reminds me of Ethan now that I think about it. :) About 20 minutes into the movie, Ethan had become restless and Matt took him out for a stroller ride to calm him down a bit. When he came back in with him, Ethan was still restless so Matt decided to take him home. Thankfully we drove three cars to the theatre so there was room for everyone to get home. We made it home by 10:30pm and I think everyone was so tired...except for Katheryn and Brian. They immediately turned on the playstation and were disappointed when I told them to go to bed. It was a really fun day to spend with each other.

No comments: