Saturday, February 7, 2009

Home Alone

What a week! This week I had to double up on class and take a few extra tests so that I can enjoy some time in the Bahamas with family. It's been stressful and I have been staying up usually until 2am if not later trying to understand the material. The distractions during the day are tough to manage so I study at night when it's quiet. My first unit exam is Monday. It's the only day I can take it since my flight leaves early Tuesday. When discussing this with the professor I was certain she would tell me to take it once I get back since the rest of the class has until Friday to take the exam. It didn't work out that way. She told me to come to the other section lectures so that I can have all the lectures in before Monday and take the exam Monday. Sadly I said okay. With that being the deal, that meant that I now had 3 quizzes due online, a lab test, an exam and a lecture due this coming Monday. I'm happy to say that tonight I completed the online quizzes and did very well. Now, backing up and reflecting on the day, I believe I did well because I had no distractions. Last night I was up until 2am finally falling asleep around 2:30 only to be awakened by the alarm clock at 3:30am. Yes, Matt set his alarm and got up before it went off. One hour of sleep! We woke up the kids, Katheryn I think was awake from all the excitement the day was about to bring her and Brian and Ethan took some nudging. So, it's 4am by this point and Matt and I are doing the best we can to get the van loaded and the kids dressed. We got out the door by 4:30am and were headed to the airport. He and the kids were headed to the Bahamas. On my way home, I felt a little sad and perhaps a little alone but I think it was the best move. I got home and decided to sleep a little more til 9:30am and at 10:30 I was out the door to a doctor appointment. A few blogs ago I mentioned that I was going to visit a doctor about not being able to shed some unwanted pounds. It's been three weeks now since I've been with this doctor and I have lost 11 pounds so far. I think it's slow going and am sometimes disappointed at the progress. Well, when I saw him today, he told me I was losing weight way too fast and that I needed to increase my caloric intake. I think we figured out that I am only taking in about 700 calories/day. He also said that 400 calories or less is starvation. I told him that the past two weeks have been rough and that I've basically lived with my face in my notes/books and haven't moved much. I forget to eat. So I have to make sure that I get at least 1200 calories/day. I don't worry so much about the fat or the sodium because Iusually don't eat much of those. I'm permitted 22 g of fat/day and some astronomical number in mg for sodium/day. I come no where close to those figures. So we'll see how it goes when I go back to see him in three weeks. Now that I have sidetracked...getting back to the day....I got home around lunch, ate a salad and got to work on studying for the online quizzes. It was the strangest thing to be home without any distractions. I think my ears hurt from the quietness. It's so strange. I quickly got accustomed to it though. I was able to take my online quizzes with lightning speed. I never have been able to take a 20 minute alloted time quiz in less than 15 minutes. Today, I did them both..one around 4 minutes and the other at 7 minutes. Wow!!! And I got an A on both of them!!! Hmmm. I'm thinking that I should not take microbiology this summer and just wait one more year until Ethan begins school. Then we will all be at school and the house will be more of an environment to study in. LOL! Maybe. Anyways, I was able to talk to Matt and the kids via webcam. Katheryn has got some cute braids going on. She didn't waste any time at all. She was wearing a t-shirt and shorts and there is still snow on the ground here. I can't wait to get there on Tuesday and be with them. I can feel the warmth of the breeze already. :)

No comments: