Thursday, July 16, 2009

Word Wall Words and Bob Book

It's been a crazy week with trying to potty train Ethan and get Brian prepared for Kindergarten. As part of Brian's readiness for Kindergarten, I have taken his word wall words from pre-K and wrote them onto index cards. I then took them and taped them upside down and facing towards the door so that Brian can flip a card up to see and read the word. I have used three doors in my kitchen for his words. He just about has one door mastered. It's amazing how much is lost over summer vacation. When we first started he only recognized about 5 words. Then, tonight Katheryn was helping Brian read through some Bob books that we had bought for her when she was in Kindergarten. These are the greatest books to help a child get started with reading. It progresses with the child's level and the child feels so proud when they finish. Brian came downstairs with the Level 1 Book 1 of the Bob Books and read. These books are very thin and contain simple one-three word sentences but he was reading!! I wanted to make sure he wasn't just memorizing because of the pictures so I had him trace the words with his finger as he read and he did!!! I was so darn proud, excited and stunned all at the same time. And to think he asks me if he can sell his sister.

No comments: